Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The project that started my inner "Shabby Love"

As I mentioned in my first blog post, my love for the "shabby" decor is making a fast appearance.  I have always had a love for dark, rich colored items, geometric shapes, and animal prints.  When my husband mentioned that we could possibly be moving from our hometown in North Carolina to Florida near the beach.....the first thing I thought was "oh, I need to become shabby chic"  not sure why I think living near the beach must change my decor, but the recent move has inspired my inner "Shabby Chic" and new love for turning something old into something new!

 My brain has been churning with idea after idea for my new love and I have had to slow myself down with all the "want to do's" I have on my list.  I do want to share with you the first, small project that sent me sailing in the shabby world a couple weeks ago!!

 I found this old wooden cheese platter at a local thrift store back in NC for .59 cents


I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it when I was buying it.  My hubby thought I was crazy and told me he trusted me....that is always good to know:)
I then found this awesome candle holder at another thrift store a couple days later for .75 cents


Once I had my two items I needed, I made a quick trip to Walmart for some spray paint for 3.00
(chosen color, Peekaboo Blue)


I then spray painted both items.  With both of them I did not want a perfect coverage so I was not picky with the paint. 

After the paint  dried, I took sandpaper and "roughed" up the platter and candle holder to bring out that shabby style. 


Once I got the look I wanted, I took some famous gorilla glue and glued the base of the platter to the top of the candle holder and "Ta-Da" 

I was so excited that this piece made it through the moving company packing and moving it.  It landed safely in Florida and now is home to some cute little starfish that my mom bought me..



So happy with how this turned out and love even more that it only cost me a total of $4.34









No comments:

Post a Comment